· Hector Eduardo Rosel Cab driving a Town Country Chrysler ran a stop sign and hit Gabriel Alcocer Ramiro Jimenez who was driving a Ford Courier; the impact caused a 12 year old to fall from the Courier who was then taken to Centro de Salud.
· Police arrested Orlando Arnold Duarte Tec and Edgar Manuel Uicab Tec on calle 31 for verbal assault and destruction of private property.
· Angel Canul Azamar was arrested on calle 25 for drunken and lewd behaviour.
· Pedro Joaquín Euán Pastrana and Erick Enrique Parra Couoh were arrested on calle 25 for drunken and aggressive behaviour.
· Mario Garrido Aguilar was arrested Thursday afternoon on calle 19 at 80 for being drunk in a public place.
Varying Reports on Tourism
City Hall and the Department of Tourism have announced an increased over the previous year in the arrival of cruise ships. In 2011, 392 ships arrived while in 2010 there were 340 and 190 arrived during the second half of the year.
However, these figures seem exaggerated compared with those released by API-Progreso who manage the activity of the pier who said there were 115 cruise ship arrived in 2011 compared to 116 last year.
Both authorities agree the passenger numbers have increased with 2011 seeing 290,000 passengers, compared to 284,611 in 2010.
Director of Tourism, Carlos Oliver Echanove commented that the shops on the pier are preferred by the passengers and not the ones here in the city. “Not all passengers want to enjoy the beaches but prefer to visit Merida and the archeological sites.”
“But there are those who like to visit sites here in Progreso like El Corchito or X'Cambó in Uaymitún” said Oliver Echanove.
Case of the Stolen Safe
Although the police say they have arrested the perpetrators of theft of the businessman in Progreso, the Attorney General’s Office asked the a 30 day house arrest for Jorge Carlos Santana Luna and Argel Antonio Chan Rodriguez to carry out further investigations.
The prosecutors granted the request.
There is a third person involved who has fled to the Distrito Federal where he lives.
Supposedly, Jorge Carlos met Argel Antonio at a bar in Progreso and told him about his grandfather and that he kept large sums money and jewelry at home but there were always someone there. They decided to do the robbery when the family was at the wedding.
On the day of the wedding, Jorge Carlos sent a message to his accomplice giving him information to facilitate the theft. The built-in safe was removed and discovered a few days later.
According to police, Chan Rodriguez was captured on Chichi Suarez during another robbery and Santana Luna was arrested on Wednesday night while carrying a gun.
The family is saying that Santana Luna has nothing to do with the theft and is doing everything possible to free him.